Tuesday 23 August 2011

Penfold Hexagonal Postbox

Today it has been very wet for most of the day, unlike forty years ago when it was brilliant sunshine and very, very hot; how can I remember that you might well ask. It was the day my daughter was born, although not until 2330 hours when it had cooled down a little. 

I will not be celebrating with her today, she is in Mexico, but before she went we did celebrate her birthday, see here if you are interested for the blip showing her face when she opened her present.

Today I had to go to Cambridge to collect a book, which had been ordered for the next Open University course which I plan to study and despite the rain I still took my point and press camera.

This is a Penfold Hexagonal Postbox and this was the standard design for Post Office boxes in the United Kingdom between 1866 and 1879.

This one was taken outside the main gate of King's College, Cambridge. Traditionally postboxes in the United Kingdom are marked, at the time of their installation, with the initials of the reigning monarch. In this case, the post box carries the initial VR for Victoria Regina, indicating Queen Victoria.

I understand that these are quite rare and until recently this was the only one I had seen, a few weeks ago I saw another one in London, but did not blip it at the time; next time I go I will try to remember to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment