Tuesday 21 December 2010

My First Post

This is my first attempt at 'blogging' and I plan to use this blog to record the happenings in my daily, often uneventful, life here in rural Newport in Essex, as well as what is happening in the United Kingdom. I also plan to record information about my hobbies, mainly gardening, growing flowers, fruit and vegetables, as well as my research, on my own and my husband's family trees. I have a daughter, two grandchildren and three cats; no doubt there will be information about them posted here too.


Today we have snow. In fact we have had snow since Saturday 18 December, which as usual in the United Kingdom has brought the country to a standstill; we, as a country, do not seem able to cope with a few inches of snow. Where I live, it is very flat, so no hope of any downhill skiing, although I have seen people out on cross-country and langlauf skies, as well as on sleds, mountain and quad bikes. We currently have airports, railway stations and many roads closed, making travel difficult, bringing the country to its knees and which will no doubt have an adverse effect on the UK's economy.


Where I live I was unable to see the Moon eclipse this morning as the Moon was too low on the horizon and could, I understand, only be seen from Southern England and Western Scotland. It is a shame I could not see it, as a Moon eclipse has not happened on the WInter Solstice for about 400 years.


My Christmas preparations are all in hand, with food and presents purchased, all except the turkey, which is still at the supermarket waiting to be collected, hopefully tomorrow, weather and transport permitting, but that will be another story.

No comments:

Post a Comment