Saturday 14 April 2012

Three Sad Anniversaries - Eric, Mary and the Titanic


I got up early this morning as the BBC had live Formula one, qualifying for the Chinese Grand Prix and they have the race live tomorrow, so another early start. We do not have Sky so now that Sky have some of the races I can usually only watch the highlights on BBC; not the same at all. Lewis Hamilton did not get pole, but got second position, although because he had to have a gearbox change, he has a five point penalty, which puts him starting seventh, between Button and Webber. The circuit is good for overtaking so hopefully it will be an exciting race.

After the F1 qualifying I made a flying visit to Tesco, not somewhere I go often as I usually have Waitrose deliver everything, but I needed some fruit and vegetables and this was the quickest option.

The volunteer group who are tidying the railway station were here today, they now plan to come just once a month. Today they are hacking back a hawthorn hedge, but they seem to have very little idea about how to do it without killing it completely. It seems the station is to be ‘developed’; they are not saying how. However, from the local paper it appears that they are going to turn the waiting room on the London ‘up’ platform into a café. The allotments further along the lane are progressing with an assortment of sheds being put up as well as water barrels in evidence. I am not sure what they expect to get off their plot for all their work, they are not fenced and so I think the deer and rabbits will have a field day.

Today it is twenty years since my father, Eric died, his death certificate is wrong and states it was the 18 April 1992. My grandmother on my mother’s side, Mary Matilda also died eighty years ago, today on the 14 April 1932. It is also one hundred years ago today since the Titanic went down with the loss of 1514 souls; three sad anniversaries.

 
Today’s Weather 
Sunny and bright although not much more than twelve degrees Celsius.  

No comments:

Post a Comment